Nikolia is a journalist and filmmaker currently based in Athens, Greece. For the past three years, she has been reporting on the Greek economic crisis for media outlets such as The New York Times, USAToday, Deutsche Welle, Al-Jazeera Magazine, Newsweek, The Christian Science Monitor, Global Post. In May 2012, she co-directed a documentary on the Greek far-right wing party, Golden Dawn. The documentary is currently screened in film festivals.
In 2013, Nikolia won a Honorable Mention at the International Photography Awards (IPA) for her video for the New York Times “Questioning Greek Growth”.
Nikolia earned her Master’s Degree in Digital Media at the Columbia University Graduate School of Journalism and her Bachelor’s Degree at Panteion University, in Athens, Greece majoring in journalism. She’s lived in Istanbul, Riyadh, and New York, but keeps traveling the globe.
Latest video projects and documentaries
- Questioning Greek Growth – Greece is to become Europe’s biggest gold exporter, but in fear of the pollution it will bring locals are fighting the project. Directed video for The New York Times, January, 2013.
- Brothel Owner Rescues Soccer Team: Directed video for The New York Times, November, 2012.
- Greece’s Right-Wing Fringe: The first time anyone had access to film Golden Dawn, the Greek far-right wing party, from the inside. As Greece reels from deep austerity cuts and prepares for elections, some ultranationalist groups are appealing to increasingly insecure voters.
- Greece’s Dangerous Cuts: As Greece is forced to make steep spending cuts, many families are falling into poverty and face losing healthcare coverage. Directed the video for The New York Times, December 2011.
- A series of audio-slideshows (and one video) on Afghanistan published on Newsweek, 2010.
- Greece’s Ultra-Right – Profiles members of Golden Dawn, Leica February Issue, 2014.
How Greece’s Economic Crisis Filled the Athens Sky with Smog, February 2014.
- Greece to Syrian refugees: Don’t get too comfortable – The Christian Science Monitor, December 2013.
- Doctor rekindles ‘ancient Greek spirit’ in Athens free clinic – Radio Report for Deutsche Welle, October 2013.
- Rough life for immigrants in Pakistan – Feature article for Newsweek international edition, September 2013.
- Without Warning Greece Shutters Its Public Broadcaster, The Christian Science Monitor, June 2013.
- Greek PM Invites China to Join “Greece’s Success Story”, May 2013, The Christian Science Monitor.
- Greece Starts Firing Civil Servants for First Time in a Century, April 2013.
- Ahead of Critical Deadline Cypriots hit the ATMs and Lash Out at Germany, March 2013.
- Blasphemy in Democracy’s Birthplace? Greece Arrests Facebook User, The Christian Monitor, October 2012.
- Greek Treasures Take a Hit, USA Today, September 2012.
- Support for Greece’s Mentally Ill Disintegrates as Money Dries up, The Christian Science Monitor, April, 2012.
- As Crisis Drags on, Greeks See a Bleak Future, USA Today, December 2011.
Contact: email@example.com, +30-6947461881